Monday, April 6, 2009

poem

8 count

by Charles Bukowski

from my bed
I watch
3 birds
on a telephone
wire.

one flies
off.
then
another.

one is left,
then
it too
is gone.

my typewriter is
tombstone
still.

and I am
reduced to bird
watching.

just thought I'd
let you
know,
fucker.

This is my poem. I really enjoy Charles Bukowski's poetry even though he is known for being an asshole, a drunk, and a misogynist. His poems are just so honest and simple.
This poem is about his writer's block, something that frequently plagued him. In his other poems he often references his publisher and how he hated him and his deadlines, so it's safe to assume this poem is directed towards his publisher.
Although the imagery in this poem is sparse it is powerful. My plan for this project is to design three or four works in illustrator, either images of Bukowski typing or doing the things he'd rather be doing, and print them on (hopefully) handmade paper. Then I'm going to put them in a typewriter I have. The typewriter will have several keys missing, and a wire bird standing on top, as if the birds have been picking at his typewriter while Bukowski's been picking his brain. I also want to have several other wires present, either on the wall behind the typewriter or somehow on the typewriter to abstractly represent telephone wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers